Thursday, May 5, 2016

Little White Lies


Too terrified to look. Too afraid to peep. As I heard noises coming from that hole the builders made in our kitchen wall.  As I crept down the dark gloomy hallway I saw the staircase getting bigger and bigger as I got closer. I tiptoed down the stairs, I was scared that it would be a monster but I knew it wasn’t. There was a feeling inside me that reached into my brain and took every emotion except fear. I’m not a little kid any more, I have to be brave.

I snuck into the light and it was just my cat Candy, it was making weird noises scratching at the cover dad put over the hole. I saw the mess and saw all the bubbles from the dish soap flying everywhere from mum doing the dishes. “Mum, I heard a monster!”
“Come on Dan, it was just the insinkerator we were putting the food scraps from supper in the disposal.” I thought to myself it was just the disposal how was I afraid of that.

As I carried Candy back upstairs I heard Mum coming up stairs to tuck me up in bed again, I held Candy tighter as Mum left the room. Mum was in her bathrobe and I knew that that would be the case of her about to get in the shower.  As I drifted off to sleep I thought, “Tomorrow will be annoying because of the incident that happened last week at school…”  The morning came.   I woke up, got up, opened my curtains, put my bathrobe on and headed downstairs for breakfast. The cupboard creeked open as I turned the light on in the pantry and grabbed my fruit loops off the shelf. I sat at the kitchen counter and ate my breakfast. Before I knew it I was at school, I had to take the bus today because mum had an appointment at the salon for her hair.

As I walked through the gates to my school I had that memory of last night going through my head. The mean kid Jerry was standing right next to the gate and it looked like he was waiting for me. He was standing right next to the trash, there were flies all over him. It looked like he went dumpster diving. In class I could not stop thinking about the noises of last night they just seemed scarier than Candy scratching at the cover, “I have to go home and put Candy outside before she makes me scared again. So I raced home it felt like I got there faster than a heartbeat. Anyway I got back to class I was so late it was morning tea break…

No comments:

Post a Comment